Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Animalia

Two non-poetry-related notes tonight, both courtesy of the Atlanta Zoo.
  • Atlanta has a brand-new baby panda! Their female panda Lun Lun gave birth to a little butterstick-sized critterbaby just before 5 pm today. My aunt, who is a zoo member, got an emailed announcement from them about two hours later and forwarded it to me straightaway. My psychic powers tell me that I will be spending an inordinate amount of time peeking at their Panda-cam over the next several months, if the baby survives and does OK. There's not much of anything cuter than a baby panda! I may also have to make a trip to the ATL to see the little guy in person (in panda?) when they put it on display. Hmmm, it may very well be old enough by the time AWP rolls around. Even more incentive to figure out a way to get there! If I manage to go, I think I will try to plan an extra day to visit the aquarium and the zoo.
  • Recycle your old cellphone and help with gorilla conservation. They'll take any old cellphone, whether it works or not. Definitely a good cause. If you don't want to take or mail your old cellphone to Atlanta, there are a bunch of other drop-off locations throughout the USA, Canada, and Australia. This is a great idea because (besides the fact that they can use the proceeds from selling usable phones) apparently there is a substance called coltan which is used in the manufacturing of cellphones, the mining of which directly screws up the gorillas' natural habitat. You can read more about it here.

2 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Anne, I do hope you make it down. I used to work summers at the zoo in the main concession so I have fond memories. The aquarium is amazing. Get yaself on down here! :)

Anne Haines said...

Collin, I was in Atlanta at Christmastime (visiting my aunt) and saw the aquarium then -- you're right, definitely amazing! And, oddly enough, I worked in a zoo concession stand when I was in high school. :) I hope I can make it -- we shall see!