Saturday, April 01, 2006

po on rye

So there's a growing NaPoWriMo movement afoot (for example, here and also here) -- the plan being to write a poem every day throughout the month of April, aka National Poetry Month. (NaPoWriMo being a takeoff on NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month.) A lot of people plan to post their daily poems on their blogs. I won't be doing that, but I do have every intention of writing a poem every day for the next thirty days.

Note that they don't have to be good poems, or long poems, or finished poems. *grin* I usually write about four poems a month, and maybe two of them are keepers; figure my percentage will be lower if I write a poem every day, but surely I'll end up with more than two that are worth working on some more. Too, I think it's good to remind oneself, now and then, that you are in control of your own writing -- not some "Muse" that you have to wait around for.

If you want to write, write. That's the main thing.

And by the way, if you don't care to write poems but want to take part, reading a poem every day would also be a fine way to celebrate.

Happy Poetry Month, all!

2 comments:

Thom Ingram said...

Awesome,

Go for it Anne. If you get the urge to share any of them (or just need a reader), let me know.

with Peace and Love
thom ingram
PoetGuru Podcast

Garbo said...

I'll read a poem a day to my kid at bedtime. I'll have to start with Ogden Nash and work my way away from galloping rhymes and rhyme-puns.