Friday, December 29, 2006

Countdown to the new

A hearty welcome to not-exactly-new blogger Timothy Green, who is a fine poet & editor. Stop by his place and say hi!

* * * * *

Hard to remember, in this unseasonably warm weather, that the end of the year is practically upon us. Resolutions, anyone?

I have several goals for the new year, which are for the most part not so much quantifiable achievements as changes in the way I look at things. We'll see how that works out. For one thing, I want to pay attention to what's truly important and remember to make space for it.

I think the cats have resolved to take more naps. That's actually kind of a great resolution, when you think about it. (Bear is fulfilling said resolution even as we speak, sacked-out on his back next to me here on the couch. What a life.)

* * * * *

Today I went to the Starbucks down the road from me to splurge on a white chocolate mocha and read Charlie's chapbook. (I'd read many of the poems before, but reading them in the context of the whole collection definitely adds something. Good stuff.) I was wearing a t-shirt from the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui, and the cashier guy commented on it, said he'd seen dolphins once but had never seen a whale in the wild and really wanted to. That started me thinking about how lucky I am, in my life. I may drive a 15-year-old rusty car and live in a little bitty falling-apart house, but I have seen whales in the wild, have looked around to find myself surrounded by them, can summon up the sound of humpbacks breathing in my memory. In a lot of ways I guess I don't have much, but what I've got is good. It's a good life. I feel lucky to be able to say that.

Luck to all y'all in the new year!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My resolution is to be more self-accepting. If's possible, I suppose, that I may improve a little in the next year, but probably not much. I came across this affirmation recently that says "I love and accept myself even though _____" and you fill in the issue. I may try to use that more often.

Anonymous said...

Test comment post. Awh, shucks, thanks for the plug:)

Anonymous said...

Neat!

(I guess serious bloggers probably don't use smilie faces, do they?)

Peter said...

Happy New Year, Anne. Wishing you all the best.

Montgomery Maxton said...

Anne, I've enjoyed reading your blog this year. Thank you for sharing your work, thoughts, and other lovely things.

Because of your love for cats and the adorable photos often posted ... I think I'm going to rescue one from a Manhattan shelter in a few weeks.

Hap Hap Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Anne. I've also got Charlie's chapbook on my coffee table to read today. All good things for 2007!

Suzanne said...

Happy New Year!