Thursday, January 11, 2007

My glamorous job*

The trouble with working in a humongous library is that when you finish your lunch, and you still have time left on your lunch hour, you go up to the stacks (the 10th floor, where they hide the PR and PS call numbers) and by the time you get back in the elevator ten minutes later you have this ginormous stack of books you're never going to be able to finish in the 4 months before they're due. (Mainly because of the three other ginormous stacks of books you already checked out and brought home before.)

Me? Addicted to books? No, I could quit anytime I wanted to. Really. I swear on a ginormous stack of books.
________________
*title of post shamelessly ganked from the fabulous Radish King

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here reading this thinking, "Yeah, I spend all my time in PR & PS too...."

Anonymous said...

PR and PS are my haunts, too. Our library has been unstacked while they renovate the permanent shelving. The staff will bring you any book you request, but there have been no "surprises," like the one I had as an undergraduate when I found a misfiled collection of Elizabeth Bishop's poems next to a volume of T.S. Eliot. (I had never heard of her at that time). Next week, the stacks reopen, and I'm hoping for more serendipitous discoveries. I'm a library lounge lizard.

Anonymous said...

When I worked in your building as a night custodian, I sometimes got to run a fluffy duster along the long rows of books and I'd pull out books with interesting bindings. I discovered Zora Neale Hurston that way.

kristy bowen said...

Though we're Dewey here, I feel your pain...occasionally, I can't see the surface of my desk for all the stacks waiting to go home with me...

Montgomery Maxton said...

there's nothing wrong with a book addiction ... i know of a lady who sleeps with Elvis Presley's wart ... so I mean come on Anne, get all the books you can.

Anne Haines said...

Oh, and don't forget the occasional foray into the PN's, y'all!

Pamela, "library lounge lizard" made me laugh out loud. There should be a t-shirt with that on it. ;)