Saturday, April 28, 2007

NaPoWriMo fall down go boom

Congratulations to all those who are closing in on that NaPoWriMo finish line! For myself, I've had to admit defeat -- just too much else going on. But I did end up with 21 drafty poems, definitely more than I usually come up with in a month; and it's not out of the question that I might come up with one or two more before May 1st. If I weren't frantically preparing to go out of town, I'd probably still try to make it to thirty over the weekend. Oh well.

I'll be gone for a week or so helping my mom recuperate from hip-replacement surgery, which she is having on Tuesday. I won't be entirely offline, but I probably won't be around as much as usual.

Here's an older poem for you:


Apart

The dying-battery beep reminds me
that we can't talk like this forever.

It's the things we can't help--
the lock that freezes three times every winter,

clocks that spring
forward, dinner burnt, pages

drifting to the floor--
that keep us apart.

I'm always driving west at sunset:
gold slipping nearer the horizon,

the flare of blindness on my windshield,
everywhere I turn, so much unexpected light.

--A.H.
published in Bloom: Celebrating Life in Bloomington, April/May 2007

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Hey, you should feel VERY good about all you've accomplished this month--and that, after all, is the point. And this is a lovely poem, older or not!

Unknown said...

Lovely poem, Anne.

Sheryl said...

I agree! Lovely.

Thank you.

Lyle Daggett said...

The title of this post made me laugh. However 21 poems or drafts (or whatever they turn out to be) is a lot of writing to have done.

I decided to attempt the poem-a-day thing this year, and as of tonight (evening of April 30) I've written 24 poems this month, and have one more in progress that I started today which I may or may not finish today.

A lot of the poems are fairly slight things, barely more than a few images, and there were several days when I just wrote tiny little haiku-ish poems so I could say I'd written something. A few of the poems are maybe more substantial. All of them are poems I wouldn't have written if I hadn't been trying to write a poem a day.

Not sure if I would do this again, but I liked playing this time around. The experiment was fun, and totally worthwhile.

Liked the poem you posted here too.