Sunday, April 06, 2008

Forsythia days

Every year there's one day when I look outside and suddenly realize that it truly is spring. That day was yesterday. Forsythia is blooming, daffodils are everywhere, and I've even seen the first few redbuds and some other flowering trees starting to bloom. Yesterday and today, both, I went for a little run (which for me means more walking than running, but whatever) in Bryan Park, a lovely green park with little rolling hills, softball diamonds, a swimming pool, and an 0.8 mile path around it. I think every dog in Bloomington was there. And today there were some little bitty kids learning to play softball -- adorable!

Also yesterday, I went to the annual reading by the "Tuesday Poets" (the group formerly known as the Bloomington Free Verse Poets). I think I know everyone in the group at least slightly, some of course better than others. It's always fun to see your friends strutting their stuff, as it were. It was a nice laid-back reading, and there were goodies afterwards. What's not to love?

Tomorrow, I plan to make it to the Robert Hass reading. That should be fun, too.

* * * * *

Doesn't this writers' conference sound like fun? It's in ALASKA. I don't know why, but I would like to go to Alaska someday. Beyond that, some of the panels and workshops sound pretty interesting. Maybe some year I'll get there.

* * * * *

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not really doing NaPoWriMo this year. But I am trying to sit down and scribble out more drafts than usual. I'm trying to at least think about it daily. In the spirit of that, here's a draft from the other day, which owes more than a little something to the recent Springsteen concert.


[gone]


1 comment:

Montgomery Maxton said...

Sunday as I was sitting on my mom's balcony I turned around to talk to the tree behind me and it surprised me with small buds. I thank it, saying it has been a long winter.