Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rainy bits

(Someone left my bits out in the rain ... wait, that sounds bad.)

Yep, rainy here, and storms coming later tonight ... and there's SNOW in the forecast for Saturday night. WTF?!

* * * * *

I make asterisks instead of transitions. Lazy, lazy blogger.

* * * * *

Collin Kelley's new chapbook, After the Poison, is now available for pre-order from Finishing Line Press. I just ordered mine tonight. Should be a good one! Pre-order it now and you'll get free shipping.

While I was there I noticed that my freshman creative-writing teacher (who was an MFA student at the time... many years ago), Maureen Picard Robins, also has a Finishing Line Press chapbook available for pre-order. I honestly have no idea what kind of stuff she writes, but I'm curious enough to order it.

My own chapbook will be up for pre-order before too awfully long. Don't worry, I'll remind you. :)

* * * * *

Apparently, the late Norman Mailer's family plans to establish a writers' colony at his home in Provincetown. Cool! One article I found says that it's going to include "distinguished scholars in residence" and "those who have been selected for fellowships at the college level." So it sounds like those of us who aren't in college but don't have books and awards and stuff yet are going to be left out. I know the prevailing trend is for people to get an MFA when they're still in their twenties then start publishing like crazy immediately thereafter, so that there's not so many years between "the college level" and the "distinguished scholar" level. It doesn't always work that way, of course.

Still, maybe this will strengthen the writing community in Provincetown, so that's a good thing.

* * * * *

I think the critter in my attic had babies.

* * * * *

For the first time in my voting life, the Indiana primary actually matters enough to bring candidates to the state. We've had Bill and Chelsea Clinton stumping for Hillary, and Jeremy Piven and Dave Matthews stumping for Obama. There have been rumors that Obama himself would be in town tomorrow, but apparently not, unless he makes a surprise visit (which he did this morning in South Bend). If he does come here, I hope I find out early enough that I can make arrangements to be there! I'd love to hear him speak. I'd love to hear either of the candidates, actually. I would have gone to see either Clinton who was here, but I was stuck at work both times.

* * * * *

I found this on someone's blog a few days ago and now I can't remember whose! Sarabande is giving away free books to people who chalk a few lines from their favorite poem on the sidewalk, and send in a picture of it. See their blog for details. They have some good books in their catalog, so if it ever stops raining here long enough for sidewalk-chalking, I plan to take them up on this nice offer.

3 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Thanks for the shout out, Anne! :) I'm really excited that the book is on sale. Thanks for buying one already. Big smoochies to you.

Anonymous said...

C'est moi, c'est moi!

[My blog, that is. :o) ]

Thanks for spreading the word -- I just love that Sarabande is doing that!

Anne Haines said...

Marie: Oh, good! I couldn't for the life of me remember which blog I saw it on -- I'd opened the link and left that tab open for a few days until remembering I meant to mention it here. :) Yay!