Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Crankiness and a book meme

Acquired today: one parking ticket (which I'm 95% certain I should be able to successfully appeal, but still) and two rejection slips (no ink nor nothin') for what I thought -- still think, really -- are pretty strong poems. If you need me I'll be over here in the cranky corner.

Sarah tagged me so here you go:

1. Total number of books I own:
You have got to be kidding me. Um, one of these days I'm going to get out the measuring tape and post how many feet of bookshelves are in my house. Suffice it to say there are lots of bookshelves and they are not empty. And there are various piles here and there. I could retire tomorrow and never buy another book again and on the day I died I'd still be plowing through what I've got. How many books? Um, thousands, I'm sure. And I don't even have the decency to be embarrassed about it.

2. Last book I bought:
I'm not sure what was the very most recent, but I think these were the most recent:
Rosie O'Donnell, Find Me (snagged in the $1 department at Target, of all places)
Patricia Fargnoli, Duties of the Spirit
Ilya Kaminsky, Dancing in Odessa
And these were birthday gifts:
Don Saliers & Emily Saliers, A Song To Sing, A Life To Live: Reflections on Music as Spiritual Practice (copy signed by Emily Saliers, which is awesome)
The Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Our Bodies, Ourselves (brand-new edition)

3. Last book(s) I read:
Rosie O'Donnell, Find Me
Sherman Alexie, Reservation Blues
Brian Teare, The Room Where I Was Born
Patricia Fargnoli, Duties of the Spirit
A. Loudermilk, The Daughterliest Son
Tora Johnson, Entanglements: The Intertwined Fates of Whales and Fishermen
Mark Doty, School of the Arts
Alison Smith, Name All The Animals
And currently reading:
Mary Oliver, Long Life
D.A. Powell, Cocktails

4. 5 books that mean a lot to me:
Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy
Adrienne Rich, The Dream of a Common Language
Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones
Anne Lamott, Bird By Bird
Taro Gomi, Everyone Poops

5. Tag 5 people and ask them to fill this out on their blogs.
Oh hell. I get in trouble when I do this. If you want to do it, do it; if I read your blog (and I read a buttload of them), I'd be curious to see your answers to this.

1 comment:

Ginger Heatter said...

"How many books? Um, thousands, I'm sure. And I don't even have the decency to be embarrassed about it."

LOLOLOL!