Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Rambly little tidbits

Thanks to everyone who gave me congratulations on the Poetry Midwest acceptance. Comments aren't playing well with others tonight so I'll respond to a couple things here...

Jennifer: "Garretless non-carousal"! I love it. That would be a great blog title.

Woody: Thinking?! Uh-oh... should I duck? ;)

Charles: I did not do the dance, because I was at work and they already think I'm weird. I did manage a bit of a seated butt-waggle though.

Poetry Midwest took a poem of mine called "Door" last year. The one they're taking for the upcoming issue is called "Windows." I think in order to keep getting published by them I'm going to have to write a poem called "Chimney" ... or perhaps "Joist" or "Soffit."

Note to self: two pieces of colby-jack cheese and a handful of slightly stale croutons does not constitute a proper dinner. Good grief.

Finally: Does anyone have any "inside scoop" on Notre Dame's MFA program? Don't get excited, it's mostly just idle curiosity. I did notice when I poked around on their website that two of their poetry faculty (Sonia Gernes and John Matthias) are retiring this year, but I have no idea who's coming in to take their places.

Notre Dame has a lovely new-ish bookstore on campus. I've only been there once, but next time I visit my mom (who lives quite close to the ND campus) I think I'm going to try & visit it again.

That's all for tonight, just rambly little tidbits. Oh, and now the truck that was blocking me into my driveway has moved, so I can leave the house and go get some proper food. GOOD.

6 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...

Butt-waggling at the ref desk, hurrah!

And "soffit"...wow...I only just learned what "joist" meant this year...after using it incorrectly in the first draft of a poem. [grin]

Anne Haines said...

Well, I wasn't actually at the ref desk, I was in my office butt-waggling. Hee.

As for "soffit," you learn all kinds of funky words when you buy an old house. If I start writing poems using words like "termites" and "dry rot," worry!

Mel said...

Anne - congrats! Being from Minnesota (though my speech pattern is only 20% upper Midwest per Peter P.'s quiz) I must give special props for inclusion in a publication based in the Motherland...and as for "the dance" - Em and I were at a 4th of July party at her uncle's house one year and another guest (one of her cousin's friends) happened to be a full-blooded American Indian. Grandmom (to whom you've all been introduced through Em's essay about being a bridesmaid) -- while cracking crablegs -- very casually asked the girl "so, do you do the dance?" -- THE dance...presumably meaning one involving drums and a firepit...the very sweet girl didn't even choke on her food while answering "well, there are really a lot of dances..." Em and I were less successful with the not choking...

Mel said...

If I may be so bold, may I suggest a poem immortalizing "invasive weeds" and "cricket infestation"...

Anne Haines said...

Okay, Mel, I'm gonna have nightmares about cricket infestations now! *shudder* Bad enough I have tons of spiders in my basement... ick.

Archambeau said...

Re: your question about who'll be teaching poetry at Notre Dame...

Cornelius Eady will be taking over for John Matthias at Notre Dame (although John will still be around, I think, in a sort of semi-retired way). I don't know who'll be taking over for Sonia Gernes.