Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lawrence King

Lawrence King, a 15-year-old kid, was shot and killed at school last week for being queer.

I never know what to say about these things. I doubt that anyone who reads my blog would disagree that this is a terrible, horrible, awful thing. I also doubt that anyone who reads my blog knows the magic words that we could say to make this kind of hate disappear from the world.

I do think it's important to talk about it, because if you don't see this kind of hate staring you in the face every day, it's possible to look the other way and forget that it still exists. Things are better than they were even two decades ago, it's true. But when Time Magazine can publish an article claiming that homophobia isn't that much of a problem in schools anymore, even while something like this happens, things are a long long way from good. Pretending everything is OK doesn't do anyone any good.

Kate Evans says it much better than I can. And Christopher Hennessy posted a devastating poem about it. You should go read their posts, if you haven't already.

[Edited 2/24 to add: Here is a good New York Times story about him.]

Here is a memorial website posted by Larry's family. And here is a memorial website posted by GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network). GLSEN's site has a list of memorials and vigils being conducted around the country, and a place where you can submit information about one you're organizing. If there's one near you, consider attending.

And my thanks to everyone who's posted about this horrible thing and brought my attention to it.

"Your silence will not protect you" -- Audre Lorde

3 comments:

C. H. said...

Great, important post, Anne. I'm honored that you mentioned my poem.

Jessie Carty said...

Something awful like that happening is why I hate living around people filled with hate. I push those people out of my life, but I feel for that poor boy's family. May they be able to find some peace :(

Collin Kelley said...

Thanks for helping spread the word.